Bug Smash: I love it when a plan comes together

Last night I used the Jotter companion app to, well, jot down an idea for my novel while I was away from the computer. Later, feeling all pleased with myself, I pulled the jotted notes down into my Davenport file, saved it, and went to bed.

Today I loaded up Davenport again to work on my novel - and it was completely broken. For a start it loaded up with three tabs already open on the top bar, a feature I haven't even implemented yet, so that came as a surprise. Worse, none of the tabs could be dragged off the bar (which means Davenport clearly thought they were all the main tab despite two of them containing nothing at all), and great swathes of the work I had done was missing.

In case you're wondering, this is where the plan starts coming together.

If you've been following development, you'll already know that Davenport uses an entirely non-destructive file format. Literally nothing you ever commit to a note is ever deleted, even if you change the contents later, even if you delete the note or the drawer it's in - not even if you 'undo' past the creation of a note and then start work again.

Getting the Davenport app itself to cope with this level of corruption is a job for later (undoing didn't solve the problems) but I was able to open my Davenport document in a standard text editor, find the moment when I imported the Jotted notes, and just delete from there to the end of the file. When I opened it back up in the app, everything was back where it should be.

Phew.

Tomorrow I'm going to have a look and see exactly what craziness my Jotter import code is getting up to. So glad I didn't rush to roll the Jotter out to my testers!

Comments

Popular Posts