Client Side #3: My experience so far

I've been actively using Davenport for a couple of months now and using that experience to inform development. Here's a quick summary of what it's been like so far:

1) The DocTree view has seen less use than I'd expected.

I had imagined using the DocTree to explore alternative ideas without cluttering up the document. In practise what I've done is created a drawer, added a note summarising the idea to be explored, and then pursued alternatives along trees radiating out from that starting point. When I've made my decision, I then drag-select all the 'losing' notes and use the console to add a #nah tag that I've set up to grey-out the text.

What I have used a little more is the per-note tree: when you have a note selected the doctree view allows you to mouse-over and browse the previous contents.

I'm ambivalent about the DocTree concept now. It may yet prove itself, and if so I'll be glad I incorporated it at an early stage rather than trying to retro-fit it, but right now it feels like time that could have been better spent.

2) Ad-hoc bookmark notes are cool.

This makes use of the ability of notes to live in more than one place. I created a note on the main desktop with the word Bookmark in it, added some formatting to make it larger and stand out, and then simply copied and pasted it into all the places in the document where I am actively working. The effect is similar to having hyperlinks to the coal-face, and allows me to get straight back into what I'm doing each time I launch the app.

3) Drawers are incredibly useful.

The feature that most lived up to expectations is the ability to create drawers at will and turn any note into a drawer. I use it all the time to explore ideas, jot down extra detail, and generally compartmentalise stuff.

4) Deliberately avoiding making it too easy to mess with formatting was a good call.

The #tag system has done its job well here. I already mentioned #nah which I use when I decide against an idea, and I've added #yeah for when I really like something and want to highlight it, but for the most part I haven't been tempted to mess around with formatting at all which means my sessions using the app have been productive.

5) I may need to add directional threads

At the moment, the threads that connect notes don't have an arrow-head. That may need to change to make it easier to get back into the groove when returning to a drawer full of connected notes.

6) There is still room in my workflow for a text editor

On a couple of occasions I've felt the need to constrain myself to a single sequence of events - to force myself to pick one direction and focus on considering its merits rather than second-guessing. On those occasions a text editor feels the more natural fit. I have not yet decided whether I should incorporate some kind of larger-scale text editor into Davenport; I'll see how things go.

Overall:

It's definitely been an encouraging experience. The workflow feels natural and powerful, and a much better fit for my thought processes than anything else I've used. I'm going to give it another week or so to catch any low-hanging bugs, and then make a limited version of the app available to alpha and beta testers to start playing with.

See you then!

Comments

Popular Posts