I Aten't Dead

Despite the lack of updates, Davenport is still in active development.

So why the radio silence?

Well, around the time of my last post here I realised that I was no longer implementing features that I had craved while writing my first novel, and was instead implementing features that the architecture of the app itself suggested.

The trouble is, that's a rabbit-hole with no end, and a great way to waste everyone's time. I had part of a timeline system, part of a map system, all sorts of things half-done, and I was pushing further and further into abstract design territory.

So I forced myself to take off my dev hat and don a writer's beret -to actually use what I had made and let that experience drive development. Turns out the features Davenport most desperately lacked weren't the ones I was working on.

So right now I'm implementing the first feature I found myself genuinely wanting while working: a really good search/replace system. Of course, it's a bit more than that: you can use it to mass-format notes, organise them, and perform complex searches to find notes that mention combinations of words or phrases - it's a direct command-line to LISA, as opposed to her passive automated helper mode.

It's a big task and I'm not rushing it, but I AM working on it. So stay tuned for further updates!

Comments

Popular Posts